Tuesday, October 27

Daddy's day at Tryon Creek State Park


First off, Elsie got some new boots from Grandma Toko. Here she is modeling them:


Since it was Daddy's Day last Tuesday, we put on our new boots and went to nearby Tryon Creek State Park to study some nature. First we hit the nature center and played with the plastic animals:


Then we hiked down to the creek in search of real nature.



We found it! The girls have discovered a slimy slug.


And here is some video of this exciting study:



Theo was glad to be home in Mommy's arms after so much drama:



8 comments:

Pete said...

No offense to me, but that slug video is the best video ever.

Anonymous said...

As a former LNT instructor and environmental educator at Hidden Villa(http://www.hiddenvilla.org), I have to say that touching slugs ought to be discouraged. The salt on our skin kills them.

TIH Amy said...

I hear that if you lick slugs, your mouth goes numb... I hear that licking slugs might have even been used as an early form of relief for mouth-ish problems.
Hopefully there's no salt on our tongue because it would surely be a tragedy for there to be one less slug around here! So you might want to do some research first on that.

Briana said...

Were there some owls at this Nature Place?
Elsie and Ida were screaming about Screech Owls tickling your butt today during snack....and I just know they didn't learn that one from me.

Yeah

Peter Bradford said...

My idea of a good daddy's day was a duck hunting trip topped off by a fried clam dinner.

WB

Anonymous said...

On our last visit to Tyron, a screech owl was tickling people's butts; mostly Daddy's butt.

K Bradford said...

I didn't like the slug video

Emily Bradford said...

I LOVED the slug video! I kissed a slug once at 6th grade science camp in the Santa Cruz mountains. Supposedly it's good luck...at least that's what the counselor person said.