Friday, February 25

Vidamae 1994 to 2011

Our old friend, Vidamae Vining, died this evening. We miss her very much.


20 comments:

Pete said...

What a great life. Good living, everyone. Thanks, Vida.

Peter Bradford said...

It seems that Maggie got Vida Mae at about the same time she got Arthur. I wonder which has been more trouble (and was harder to get).

Arthur has had only three serious relationships with dogs, not counting that French TA.

Condolences to all. Vida has lots of friends here.

Love,

Occhio

TIH Amy said...

Bye Vidamae! You will live on in stories.
I'm sorry for your loss, B-Vings.

Kath said...

Let us hope that Vida Mae will speak to us over the years through Arthur's voice.
Carry on dear Vida.

Condolences to the four Bradford Vinings who cared for her with all their hearts.

Mim said...

Dear Arthur, Maggie, Elsie and Theo-
I was so sorry to hear from Ben (via Facebook) that dear wonderful Vidamae has passed away ---
Joining sweet Cobie in the great doggie beyond.
I'll never forget Vidamae all decked out as a beautiful bride in one of your Christmas cards and her delight this Thanksgiving with her gift from GranKath of the squirrel under pants.
Vidamae will never be forgotten. She was thoroughly loved in your family ---she had a good life.
With deepest sympathies-
Auntie Mame/Mim

kaikai said...

I very much enjoyed the walks I took with Vidamae... a good old southern gal. Many hugs to you all.

- Kailyn

Pete said...

I remember when I first met Vidamae. Maggie used to hang out on the Stanford campus wearing these short athletic shorts and sometimes a kind of crochet skull cap; I thought she was quite interesting and exotic, and wondered why she was involved with Arthur. She didn't think I was that interesting; one reason I liked Arthur was he always seemed to be trying to convince Maggie that I was interesting. I wondered if he was trying to work out some kind of arrangement. Anyway, back in those days Vida must have been 3 or so. All the young undergrads thought she was a labrador puppy, and laughed and cooed as she stalked and pointed at the squirrels. Their delight turned to horror, usually, when, moments later, there was a terrible squirrel-screaming and Vida trotting proudly along with a bloody squirrel in her mouth. Wow, she was quick and deadly, back then. It was a common sight to see Maggie--short shorts, crochet hat, and someone told me she was an American Indian, which I respected--carrying a dead squirrel at the end of an outstretched arm. So many stories. Like when Vida leapt from my truck in Virginia, when we were responsible for her, and ran after a deer, across a highway, causing several accidents, and disappeared for days. So fine, Vidamae. And these last few years were remarkably sweet as she slowed down.

President said...

A+

Anonymous said...

Just to clarify, I never wore "short shorts" at Stanford.

But otherwise an excellent comment, Pete, i do love a Vidamae story.

Emily Bradford said...

I'm sorry to hear about Vida! What a sweet dog she was, and so funny too! I remember her walking really slowly through plants because she like the way they felt. :-)

Ella said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ella said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pete said...

I remember those shorts quite vividly and fondly. Also I remember hearing of Vida slaying another squirrel, in Virginia, and a mountain man thanked her and put it in his cooler to skin and eat later. Vidamae, feeding the masses......

And I think if you want to make a comment--even if it's critical of some of Vidamae's actions, even if it's about Maggie's shorts--just make it. Don't be a wuss and delete it.

Josh said...

I watched over Vidamae a few times in 2008. She'd take me to the Reed Canyon and trot a few yards ahead of me, eyeing ducks. Pete had told me stories about her youthful antics, snatching up squirrels at Stanford, and I wondered if Vidamae would dive into the water and give chase, come back with a duck in her mouth. She never did, but the ducks always swam off in a hurry, as though they'd heard the same stories about Vidamae I had. May those stories live on.

Chandler said...

I have many fond memories of Vidamae from my days spent with Elsie, Ida, and Theo. She was an excellent, calming companion in a house full of wild babies, and was lovely to have around, even when trying to sneak food from those babies. I was glad to get to spend so much time with her; I know she'll be missed by many.

Jmadj said...

التاريخ والاصالة,, وغيرنا مالهم اصل ولا فص

Condi said...

I well recall this dog, Vidamae. The finest hound I ever saw out of my home state of Alabama. This was back around 1995-6, while I was Provost at Stanford, before I went back east to work for George W. Sometimes I'd look up from my grand piano and see that little pup harassing the varmints and I'd just remember back to when I was a girl. I also recall those shorts! I don't want to suggest that my interests spin in those directions, but that was one very attractive young lady.

David Vann said...

I'm sorry that I made Coby leave the classroom due to my allergies. Is this about Coby?

doc said...

Coby's white bow at Arthur and Maggie's wedding stayed clean and pure. Vida Mae's was strewn with mud. Or was it the other way around ?

Ella said...

one night, at very cold Arizona KOA Kampground, Vida Mae somehow managed to wriggle into my sleeping bag with me. It wasn't something out of "Dogwalker," thought, don't get the wrong idea.