From Cairo!
While Maggie graciously holds down the homestead with the help of Pete and Ella, I get to visit family in far away lands. Here's some pictures. This is Dad in the Paris airport. When he lumbered through the hallways the french people would see him and exclaim, "mon dieu!"
We arrived in Cairo at night and were met by Laura and Mohamed, the driver. They drove us to their charming villa where we promptly fell asleep, mouths agape. In the morning we visited a mosque. Emmet was not happy about the little cloth sacks they made us put over our shoes.
Later, at lunch, Emmet took this picture:
This was the view from our luncheon spot:
We ate dinner in a sailboat on the Nile. Laura negotiated all the prices. Dad asked the captain of the boat what kind of fly fishing there was on the Nile and the captain said, "We don't fish for flies here sir."Tomorrow we visit Garbage City and then off to a protest at Tahrir Square with Dave!
5 comments:
This is doing something to my head
Seeing pictures of Laura and the boys in Cairo
on the Portland Oregon blog
BUT I LOVE IT
Keep those cards and letters coming
It's just how I imagined you all would visit together
As Mathew Crawley said "I'm a happy man"
The place where you all are pictured having lunch looks like the park that Laura took me to and suddenly Thomas was lost. We couldn't find him anywhere. I was told to wait on this grassy knoll with Emmett while Laura frantically searched for him. The thing I'll never forget is that in the midst of that panic I heard the call to prayer coming in over the city of Cairo while I held Emmett in my lap.
Soon after we found Thomas who had very wisely gone to the guards station and patiently waited for his mother to show up. The sound of the call to prayer still haunts me.
Hello Arthur,
did you fly first class, and do I have to pay for that, too?
I hope that your father is able to drink red wine again, as pictured on the boat.
your friend,
Pete
"Laura negotiated all the prices" is how I remember witnessing that amazing world traveler
Don't forget the delicious hummus
Post a Comment