Wednesday, March 6

Theo at Tumbleweed

The other day one of Theo's teachers approached me with a story about Theo which she said nearly moved her to tears.  She sent some pictures and words which I'll share here.  Grant is a new kid at the school who was having a tough day :


"Grant was looking for people to play with. No one wanted to play with him because they were afraid of getting hurt. Grant paced up and down the back yard asking the children, "Can I be your friend?" He collapsed on the ground in tears because no one wanted to be his friend. He sat up and started to poke the sand, still crying. Theo looked at me, stood up, and walked over to Grant.  'I'll play with you Grant.'"



"They started playing with dinosaurs:"



"Other kids wandered over.  Periodically, Grant asked Theo, 'Are we friends?' Every time, she replied, 'Yes Grant, we're friends.' 'Can I come to your birthday party?' 'Sure.'"




Heartwarming!  GrandKathy always told me to be nice to the sad kids at school, though I think I rarely took her advice.  Theo did though!  Of course Theo later denied inviting Grant to her birthday party so we'll see how that plays out.  In fact, the birthday party dis is a popular put down amongst the pre-schoolers looking to land a real zinger.  Over christmas when we were driving in NYC someone honked at us and Theo muttered under her breath, "Stop honking.  I'm not inviting you to my birthday party."  Boom!  That shut that person up!

9 comments:

Pete said...

I'm sorry I peed on your guys' porch. I got confused.

Gran Kathy said...

That's not what I said dear. i said Arthur you are a nice sad kid.

your grand mother said...

Theo you really impress me. A lot

Peter Bradford said...

Thsnk goodness Maggie took this playing-with-the-dufus motif to extremes.

Love,

WB

Anonymous said...

I will start worrying about the implications of this story when Theo starts dating.

Peter Bradford said...

Incidentally, what injury does the part about "afraid they would get hurt" refer to? Grant looks very large for Tumbleweed. Could he be 43 years old?

Asevr,

WB

Laura said...

Theo is very impressive in this way. I've noticed that she's very good about bringing people into the group-- and Arthur is good at that too!

Why do we never get to see Grant's face? He is indeed a tragic figure.

Muslim Brothers said...

Why isn't Theo wearing any pants or skirt with her tights?

Kath. said...

very nice comment Laura