Under the lights
So we went back to the hospital and did another blood test and we were not too surprised to learn that Elsie's billirubin level had risen yet again. She was looking pretty yellow. Her billirubin was at 17.9, up from 14.1 on Wed. and uncomfortably close to the concern level of 20. So Maggie packed her overnight bag and we prepared for a night under the UV lights. As you can see, Elsie has to wear these little goggles to that she doesn't open her eyes and damage them.
We were pretty bummed out at this development, placing our daughter back in an incubator, but Elsie took it well and for the most part just napped in the heat. It was like she was sunabthing. Maggie took her out to feed every hour or so. After just a couple of hours passed they pricked Elsie's heel and did the test again. The billirubin went down! 16.1! We relaxed. I brought Maggie some comfort food and magazines and now she's settling in for the night there. Here she is with Elsie in the incubator behind her.
They only let one parent stay overnight so I'm at home with old Vidamae. As I walked out of the hospital I passed by several cribs holding kids and infants in much worse shape than little Elsie. The parents next to them looked so worried and I was thankful that all our daughter needed now was a little more light.
No comments:
Post a Comment